04 May 2017

The Awesomeness of the Thayne Center- a Student Reflection

What has this past year at the Thayne Center meant to me?  One thing is, that I wish I knew about this place and the programs so that I could have been involved with them when I started at SLCC in January 2015; oh well, better late than never.  Doing Work Study through the Thayne Center has been, in some ways, a life saver.  This experience has added to my desire to do something that can change the world in a better way by being proactively involved in my community.  I have also been able to reinforce my desire to be open-minded, nonjudgmental, and accepting of those around me through my interactions with the wonderfully amazing people that enter this office.  Another thing that has made this experience memorable is developing friendships with the remarkable people who work in this office.  They are some of the most loving, kind, and encouraging individuals at SLCC.  They have helped remind me that I can do hard things and that I will make it through hardships that I am experiencing.  I am grateful that I took the opportunity to work at the Thayne Center, knowing that it is going to lead me in the direction that I want to go with being the change I want to see in the world. 


This reflection was written by an SLCC work-study student who is studying sociology. She has an anticipated graduation of Summer 2017 and hopes to work in the non-profit sector.

No comments:

Post a Comment