The do it exhibition is a compilation of do-it-yourself projects and installations instructed by renowned contemporary artists. This month’s Family Art Saturday is inspired by a selection from this set of instructions. Decorate the museum by choosing where to place fun stickers. High or low, close or far, ordered or arbitrary, your choices determine how the halls of UMOCA are stickered.
Volunteers will help with setup, assist with the art project, greet families, show families how to make the art project, and clean up the project afterward.
Friday, March 14th: 6:30-9:30 PM Projects Gallery Exhibition Opening
Andrea Jensen will be having a solo exhibition in the Projects Gallery. Jensen reimagines sublime landscapes as blueprints of impermanence. Often times her paintings use abstraction and intersecting planes to deconstruct the relationship of nature and man-made environments. For more on this fantastic local artist’s work please check out her website at http://www.andrearaejensen.com/
- 6-6:30 PM | Volunteers will assist with event set-up.
- 6:30-7 PM | Volunteers will listen to a walk-through of Andrea Jensen’s exhibition, given by the artist.
- 7-9 PM | Volunteers will make sure food and beverages stay in designated areas during the reception, and assist in enforcing museum rules (no touching the art, etc.). As of this event we are now allowing photography as long as they do not use a flash.
- 9-9:30 PM | Once the reception ends volunteers and staff will tear down tables and clean-up.
More Volunteer Opportunities
Art Truck| The Art Truck is scheduling visits again! Assist Art Truck Docent Elly Baldwin with UMOCA’s traveling exhibition as it visits various schools and public events. Volunteers will help with set up/take down of the truck, monitor children on the tour, and help facilitate an art activity in the classroom if it is visiting a school; or answer questions about the installation at public events. The Art Truck is currently featuring artist Calder Kamin. Kamin’s art practice explores the collaboration between technology and conservation. Her installation in the Art Truck uses charming tools to bring attention to the issues animals face in urban environments while also alluring the spectator to reflect on their own relationship to wild life and possible impacts they have on animals.
For more information visit http://www.utahmoca.org/art-truck/
- Thursday, March 6th: 8am-11pm & 11-2pm at Rose Park Elementary
- Thursday, March 6th: 5:30-7:30pm at Rose Park Elementary Art Night
- Wednesday, March 12th: 3-5pm at Discovery Clubhouse: Riverdale
- Saturday, March 22nd: 12-4pm at Discovery Gateway
- Monday, March 24th: 8:30am-12 & 12-3pm at Bonneville Elementary
- Monday, March 24th: 5:30-8pm at Bonneville Elementary Art Night