08 January 2014

Want to Be a Better Leader? Try This in 2014

How often do you find yourself complaining about being exhausted?

Almost every entrepreneur falls into the pattern of not getting enough sleep, working too hard, and not exercising, even though these things are scientifically proven to make you happier. Instead we come up with excuses for why we don't have the time for what matters.

When I was CEO of Contour Cameras, I was doing the same thing. Despite having a healthy foundation as a former National Collegiate Association athlete, I was running myself into the ground. My family received the brunt of the neglect, while my body took the rest. It got so bad that if I didn't feel exhausted, I worried I wasn't working hard enough.

Unfortunately, the only thing that stopped this downward spiral was getting fired from my own company. It was only then that I realized taking care of my family and personal health was more important than all the rest.

Most leaders forget that their lifestyle sets the precedent for their company's culture. If you value quantity over quality, your team over family, or work over everything else, your team is going to feel stressed and deliver unimaginative work.

So as you think about the next year, I challenge you to make it one when you refuel and find your way back to the passionate, high energy entrepreneur your team once knew.

This transition won't be easy, but there are a few things you can work on everyday to be a happier leader in 2014.
Click to continue reading this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment